March 29, 2024, 10:10:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nomenclature Help  (Read 737 times)

Offline beleting

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nomenclature Help
« on: June 15, 2021, 06:31:47 PM »
Could someone please explain/deconstruct for me the naming of this molecule? The name from SciFinder is this:

Benzene, [(1,​1-​difluoro-​3-​buten-​1-​yl)​thio]​-

Thanks!

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Re: Nomenclature Help
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 04:05:18 PM »
I attached a relevant picture. If you understand each simpler example, you should be able to understand your molecule.

A couple things to note: substituents are numbered at the point of attachment to the parent. In this case, the parent is benzene.

Also, when you look up names, they often place the parent first, followed by substituents, which is different from how they show names in textbook.

Other than that, you can understand the name by thinking about smaller, simpler molecules. Also, you could read about thioether nomenclature.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »
I gave you a "molesnack" OrganicH2O, nice.

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 03:23:01 PM »
Thank you, Rolnor! I always thought this was the easiest way to understand nomenclature, rather than a long lists of rules.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Sponsored Links