March 28, 2024, 08:49:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Interfacial polymerization - Question  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Lorelei

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Interfacial polymerization - Question
« on: June 20, 2021, 09:04:30 PM »
Hello,
Is interfacial polymerization possible without stirring? How?
I searched through many sites, but as English is not my first language, I barely understand the texts as I barely understand the macromolecular chemistry in my native language (it is not my main subject) :( I asked on some sites already, but it always stays unanswered for weeks... My classmate shared her verified answer with me, but the teacher declined my answer. I'm hopeless...

Thank You so much in advance.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Interfacial polymerization - Question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 11:17:47 PM »
Question is too vague. Virtually anything is possible. But that doesn't mean it is efficient. Could you be more specific?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Lorelei

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:13:51 AM »
Thank You for Your reply  :)  In general, we're talking about polycondensation at the phase interface, and the question is, how do we achieve that the polymer formed does not interfere with the resulting polymer at the phase interface during polymerization without stirring?
My last answer was: "By raising the temperature, for example, in an autoclave without stirring." (I found this somewhere on the internet, but I guess I wrongly understood the point of the English text because it is the wrong answer...)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 02:54:14 AM »
how do we achieve that the polymer formed does not interfere with the resulting polymer

You mean "how it doesn't interfere with itself"? Or are "formed" and "resulting" two different, separate things? If so, please elaborate.

If the reaction occurs only at some reactions site it will be limited by the speed of the transport of the reactants.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Lorelei

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 04:43:50 AM »
I'm feeling like a total clown. After one and half months, I found the answer in our lab materials after rechecking it. Thank You for your replies, the answer is  "If the film is pulled
up, out of the interface, new film is formed continuously."  :)

Sponsored Links