April 28, 2024, 03:28:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how can I recognize these chemical?  (Read 4830 times)

Offline phoebusvn

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
how can I recognize these chemical?
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:05:41 PM »
I have NiSO4, Al(NO3)3, Ba(NO3)2, Fe(NO3)3, Pb(NO3)2, HNO3, H2SO4, NaOH. ( one of them has the yellow color and another one is in blue color) all of them in the water. so can i recognize them with the color and the chemical reactions between them?

I hope I could have the answer soon.

thank you so much.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: how can I recognize these chemical?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:44:02 AM »
Color salts are obvious - check your book/notes. Then check solubility tables - for example what will happen when you mix Fe3+ with OH-?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:13:26 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline zwp920

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 04:17:52 AM »
The yellow salt is Fe(NO3)3,the surplusage we can add one the each then we can find NaOH and Al(NO3)3, because it is known that when we add the NaOH  into Al(NO3)3 at the frist we can see the write deposition ,when the NaOH is used excessive,the write deposition disappear,the residuals are NiSO4,Ba(NO3)3,Pb(NO3)3,HNO3,H2SO4.At this time ,we know that if Ba(NO3)3 was added into H2SO4 a write deposition we were acquire and it didnot dissolve in HNO3 or H2SO4 ,The salts what we did not recognize are HNO3,NiSO4.  ;)  I think at this time you can recognize them quickly by the salts what we have recognized.

Offline phoebusvn

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:43:06 PM »
i don't understand how u recognize Pb(NO3)2 and Ba(NO3)2 because the solution of both with H2SO4 have formed solid and they doesn't react with H2SO4 or HNO3.

but if you are right, do we have other way to figure out which one is Ba(NO3)2 and Pb(NO3)2 without taking the solid out of the solution or add other chemical into the solution.

thanks
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 11:21:34 PM by phoebusvn »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »
i don't understand how u recognize Pb(NO3)2 and Ba(NO3)2 because the solution of both with H2SO4 have formed solid and they doesn't react with H2SO4 or HNO3.

Lead and Barium cations behave differently in excess sodium hydroxide.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links