Chemistry Forums for Students > Physical Chemistry Forum

Electron Configurations?

(1/1)

Aesuuki:
So i understand the theory behind shells, subshells and orbitals, and how there are s,p,d,f orbitals with the energy the electrons need to access them increasing in that order.

At the moment i know: In the 1st group, hydrogen is 1s¹ and helium is 1s².

The 2nd group all have 1s² plus up to one 2s orbital and three 2p orbitals. (This means the 2nd group has 8 electron spaces because one orbital can only allow 2 electrons.)

I know the 3rd group has the same orbitals as the 2nd group plus a d orbital and that it can allow 10 electrons. That's about it though.

That is probably really hard to understand in the way I phrased it, but I tried.

I did find a method to calculate the electron configuration relatively easily (https://drive.google.com/file/d/14BlJf7WLCzHpltrmHPm_MIDFcgfDY74F/view?usp=sharing) without needing any of this, but I really don't want to hide behind a methord and not understand what's happening

Corribus:

--- Quote from: Aesuuki on July 10, 2021, 05:55:23 PM ---So i understand the theory behind shells, subshells and orbitals, and how there are s,p,d,f orbitals with the energy the electrons need to access them increasing in that order.

--- End quote ---
Not totally correct as far as the energy part goes - it's more nuanced than that - but OK by the crudest approximation.

--- Quote ---At the moment i know: In the 1st group, hydrogen is 1s¹ and helium is 1s².

The 2nd group all have 1s² plus up to one 2s orbital and three 2p orbitals. (This means the 2nd group has 8 electron spaces because one orbital can only allow 2 electrons.)

I know the 3rd group has the same orbitals as the 2nd group plus a d orbital and that it can allow 10 electrons. That's about it though.

That is probably really hard to understand in the way I phrased it, but I tried.

--- End quote ---
Not seeing a question here. Are you just looking for confirmation? This is basically OK for ground state configurations, but your language is pretty loose.

Babcock_Hall:
I might have used "second row elements" in place of "second group."  I am not sure I would have said "up to one 2s"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version