Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

Structural isomers of C4H9Br

<< < (2/2)

rolnor:
Actually, if you include another type of isomerism, you are correct, its 5 isomeres.

Stupid.03:

--- Quote from: Orcio_Dojek on July 14, 2021, 09:53:19 AM ---No, 3 and 5 are the same.

--- End quote ---

:o you are very right sir, my bad, sorry for causing trouble

--- Quote from: Babcock_Hall on July 14, 2021, 09:58:56 AM ---When deciding whether or not two representations are the same molecule, there are a couple of approaches.  One is to name them.  Another is to think about rotating carbon-carbon single bonds to see whether or not they interconvert.

--- End quote ---

I heard the last approach works only for conformational isomerism, is it right?

--- Quote from: rolnor on July 14, 2021, 12:03:15 PM ---Actually, if you include another type of isomerism, you are correct, its 5 isomeres.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately the exercise asked me only structural isomers so I'm guessing the other type of isomerism you are referring to is not included, and with it my chance to be right! Mmm, I'm going to guess, is it the diastereomers?

rolnor:
Close, stereoisomer, they are R,S-isomeres.

Babcock_Hall:
@OP
Conformational isomers may be interconverted by rotations around single bonds.  If I understand what you are asking, then you are correct.  My point is that drawings of two conformational isomers may look different, yet they are thought of as being one substance, provided that interconversion is rapid.  In introductory organic chemistry, that is a safe assumption.

How many centers of chirality are present in structure 3?

Babcock_Hall:
Sometimes it helps to use plastic molecular model kits to construct representations and to rotate them in your hand.  They can be compared against drawings on paper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version