March 28, 2024, 05:30:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why are branched alkanes more stable than linear alkanes?  (Read 857 times)

Offline Vorld

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I hope this is the right place to ask, but I was recently doing some data processing using the data on NIST WebBook and noticed an interesting trend about alkanes and their enthalpies of formation. I noticed that branched alkanes tend to have more negative enthalpies of formation as compared to linear alkanes, leading to a conclusion that they are generally more stable than linear alkanes.

I did some reading, and found that this is supposed to be a commonly known relationship, but I can't figure out why this is the case. Why are branched alkanes generally more stable than linear alkanes? Are there some steric interactions at play?

Even if we just accept that relationship to be true, why are there instances where this relationship does not hold? Specifically, when I was exploring the data on NIST WebBook and I noticed that ΔfH⦵ is more negative for 2,2-dimethylpentane than 2,2,3-trimethylbutane even though the latter is more branched than the former.

Thank you so much!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Why are branched alkanes more stable than linear alkanes?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
Nice catch. Not a question that has an easy answer, since papers are still being published on this topic not too long ago.

See, e.g. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21086970/

When something doesn't feel right, blame quantum mechanics. ;)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links