March 28, 2024, 08:53:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sildenafil Synthesis - Ring Formation  (Read 1716 times)

Offline daylightbabii

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sildenafil Synthesis - Ring Formation
« on: July 20, 2021, 09:25:22 AM »
Hello, I was just wondering how the mechanism would occur in the final steps of synthesizing Sildenafil. I know that the tert butoxide would deprotonate the primary amide so it can attack the carbonyl group. I’m just not sure about the mechanism in removing the resulting alkoxide and forming the enamine in an acidic condition (HCl/H2O). I don’t know how to start the proton transfers because I’m confused on what goes first. An advice could really help me, thank you. :)

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Sildenafil Synthesis - Ring Formation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 04:05:50 PM »

Offline daylightbabii

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:11:08 PM »
Question is how the intermediate after the first step looks like but the last step is perhaps the same as when imines form?
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/296906421_Synthesis_of_novel_2-amino-5-arylazothiazol_derivatives_and_their_biological_impacts_Assessment_of_toxicity_and_antioxidant_enzyme_activities/figures?lo=1

First of all thank you for replying, the link you sent me is what I thought at first and then I tried to draw it but I got confused on which would be deprotonated first, the HCl or the NH because it still has a hydrogen that can undergo proton transfer. I tried to do it with HCl first but then if I protonated the OH with H2O won't the OH in water be a poor leaving group?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 11:56:35 PM »
The OH gets protonated and becomes  a better leavinggroup and there is a electron pair on the nitrogen that can attack the carbon even if you dont pick the proton on the nitrogen. This way you get a positive charge on the nitrogen  and then finaly the proton leaves the nitrogen.

Offline daylightbabii

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 02:15:21 AM »
The OH gets protonated and becomes  a better leavinggroup and there is a electron pair on the nitrogen that can attack the carbon even if you dont pick the proton on the nitrogen. This way you get a positive charge on the nitrogen  and then finaly the proton leaves the nitrogen.

I just need to ask, will the OH be protonated by another HCl or is it going to deprotonate H2O so that it becomes a good leaving group? I'm just really confused on what is used up and what by products where left at the end of the reaction, thank you for helping me.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 03:29:51 AM »
You have a lot of H3O+ in this acidic solution so thats whats protonate the OH.

Sponsored Links