April 24, 2024, 09:00:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Accidental Chemical Mixing in domestic cleaning products  (Read 3630 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RoyT

  • New Member
  • **
  • Posts: 3
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Accidental Chemical Mixing in domestic cleaning products
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »
A general question  - I am intrigued as to accidental mixing of some chemicals  in day to day household cleaning.

As an example, today I had a small spot of mouthwash residue on the underside of a bottle of mouthwash that created a sticky patch on the worktop (clearly created over a couple of days).   I reached for a toilet wipe to remove the sticky substance (the area was not bigger than 2cm square - and a very thin layer of sticky mouthwash at that).

The bringing together of the two products instantly created a strong odour - not like ammonia or chlorine, but it was still strong despite on extremely extremely small cross contamination of chemicals being possible. I instantly diluted ventilated the area and cleaned down with water.

Could anyone much smarter than me shed any light on what it was I created from this very brief, very small mixture?

The ingredients of the mouthwash are

Eucalyptol 0.091%, Menthol 0.042% w/v, Thymol 0.063% w/v, Sodium fluoride 0.022% w/v, Zinc chloride 0.09% w/v, Alcohol, Aroma (flavor), Benzoic Acid, Blue 1, Methyl Salicylate, Poloxamer 407, Red 40, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Saccharin, Sorbitol, Sucralose, Water, Propylene Glycol

The ingredients of the toilet wipes are

Water, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Sodium Benzoate, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Potassium Sorbate, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Parfum, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteareth-12, Cetyl Palmitate, Benzoic Acid, Citric Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract.

Offline kriggy

  • Chemist
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1520
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Accidental Chemical Mixing in domestic cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 02:29:44 AM »
Its tough to say but menthol aroma is quite strong, I think by wiping the spot you dissolved some of the remaining menthol and it got into the air

Sponsored Links