March 28, 2024, 12:01:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: [H+] from pH and molarity  (Read 1916 times)

Offline helplessnerd0402

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
[H+] from pH and molarity
« on: August 23, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
I'm working on some practice problems from my prof and I'm stuck on this one:

What is the [H+] of a 1.4 M acetate buffered solution at pH 6.2?

Do I just use Henderson-Hasselbalch by plugging in the pKa for acetate and solving for [HA]? This is for biochem, but it's been three years since I've taken gen chem.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: [H+] from pH and molarity
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 07:27:07 PM »
I would reread the question carefully.

Offline helplessnerd0402

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 07:45:00 PM »
I would reread the question carefully.

I initially just figured I could use the pH to calculate [H+] by using [H+] = 10^(-pH), but then I thought I was oversimplifying it.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 07:58:44 PM »
I think that there is extraneous information in this question.

On a related and more complex matter, if the problem had asked for calculation of the concentrations of acetic acid (HA) and acetate ion (A1-), these could be obtained with the H-H equation, but one would use an apparent pKa at high ionic strength.  At the stated concentration of 1.4 M, the ionic strength is quite a bit higher than for the thermodynamic pKa, which is zero.  Biochemistry laboratory courses sometimes discuss this problem, but it may not be a concern for you.  Others here would know more about this topic than I do, but it is a matter of some practical concern when preparing buffers.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:09:23 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Offline helplessnerd0402

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 09:08:47 PM »
I think that there is extraneous information in this question.

On a related and more complex matter, if the problem had asked for calculation of the concentrations of acetic acid (HA) and acetate ion (A1-), these could be obtained with the H-H equation, but one would use an apparent pKa at high ionic strength.  At the stated concentration of 1.4 M, the ionic strength is quite a bit higher than for the thermodynamic pKa, which is zero.  Biochemistry laboratory courses sometimes discuss this problem, but it may not be a concern for you.  Others here would know more about this topic than I do, but it is a matter of some practical concern when preparing buffers.
Thanks. This is really just supposed to be review from gen/orgo chem and I would hope it isn't more complex than I initially thought. The irrelevant info just threw me off.

Sponsored Links