Chemistry Forums for Students > Analytical Chemistry Forum

How do you find the equilibrium constant of a salt?

<< < (2/2)

Borek:

--- Quote from: 3mpathogens on August 22, 2021, 10:18:48 AM ---It would dissociate into a triethylamine cation and chloride anion.
--- End quote ---

Bromide, but it is just a simple, obvious mistake.

--- Quote ---wouldn't salts of triethylamine dissociate differently depending on the ion paired with triethylamine?
--- End quote ---

No (there are some fine prints, but they can be safely ignored here).

--- Quote ---For instance, would I use the same Ka (that of triethylamine) for triethylammonium chloride and triethylammonium bromide?
--- End quote ---

Yes.

It may happen that the counterion itself is a weak/acid base and its reactions have to be taken into account as well (think ammonium acetate, or something like NH4HCO3, where HCO3- is both an acid and base at the same time). It doesn't change the fact that each ion has its own Ka/Kb which doesn't depend on the identity of other ions - quite the opposite, it uses exactly this approach.

--- Quote ---Maybe I don't have a clear understanding of how all of this works in general... what should I review to get a better grasp on this? You mentioned the Bronsted-Lowry theory, but is there anything else that would be helpful?
--- End quote ---

GenChem 101 - equilibrium and acid-base equilibrium.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version