March 28, 2024, 07:12:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the tension of Rust or Iron (III) Oxide bars  (Read 2547 times)

Offline dblake

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is the tension of Rust or Iron (III) Oxide bars
« on: August 21, 2021, 08:11:44 PM »
If anyone could point me to a video or link a video of anyone melting iron oxide in a cast to create iron oxide bars, I would like to see how brittle the product would be. I searched online but could find no one who melted iron oxide. It seems everyone stops at Iron (III) Oxide powder after the initial reaction of oxygen with iron. But what happens after the reaction if you melt Iron (III) Oxide. Will it adhere together? How strong would the material be?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: What is the tension of Rust or Iron (III) Oxide bars
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »
Not really sure what you're looking for but a quick google search showed up a lot of hits for mechanical properties of iron oxide at different temperatures.

E.g.,
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1023070016230
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline dblake

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What is the tension of Rust or Iron (III) Oxide bars
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 07:06:46 PM »
This is really helpful. Thanks. I am unsure if this article includes what I am looking for though. I am trying to see if you can melt iron oxide powder into pure iron oxide bars and measure how strong that is. Are they strong like bricks or do they crumble like sand. I know iron crumbles after it is turned to iron oxide but what happens to pure stable iron oxide after heated and cooled into bars?

Sponsored Links