April 29, 2024, 02:35:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Phase Diagram explaining Fractional Distillation  (Read 8112 times)

Offline impulse29

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Phase Diagram explaining Fractional Distillation
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »
As a question to one of my labs, it asks me to create a phase diagram that illustrates the priciples of fractional distillation. However, I do not know if I did it right. I have created a computer version of it, and will describe it, but would greatly appreciate knowing if I should change something.

For my lab I converted cyclohexanol into cyclohexene. I found the freezing point of cyclohexene to be -104ºC, which is why at 1atm, it should be solid. However, I realize that with my diagram it shows that it becomes a gas, which isn't true. Should I make the one line of the Liquid go further down? Also, how would I represent the fact that fractional distillation is generally used when two compounds' boiling point are within 25ºC of one another?

I'm probably overanalyzing it, but this is really confusing me. I also don't know whether to make one for the cyclohexanol, the cyclohexene, or just do a general one that would explain the technique! The rest of the questions are manageable, but this one I am stuck on.

Thanks for any help,
Impulse.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Phase Diagram explaining Fractional Distillation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:10:14 PM »
Try looking up two component phase diagrams, such as figure 2 on this page:

http://www.chem.arizona.edu/~salzmanr/480a/480ants/vpdiag&/vpdiag&.html

Offline impulse29

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Phase Diagram explaining Fractional Distillation
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:17:38 PM »
Thanks a lot. I found figure 9 to be helpful, since my end product has a lower boiling point than the starting material.

-Impulse

Sponsored Links