April 24, 2024, 03:23:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sulfur halide preperation?  (Read 8918 times)

Limpet Chicken

Sulfur halide preperation?
« on: September 20, 2004, 01:22:48 PM »
Hey guys, I could do with a little help on something.
I am reasonably familiar with the procedures for preparing thionyl chloride, sulfur chloride (SCl2) and disulfur dichloride, will similar or analogous procedures work to prepare the corresponding lower halides (fluorine isn't really important here due to the low reactivity of the sulfur fluorides).

Say, If I were to bubble bromine or iodine vapour through boiling sulfur to obtain the monosulfur dihalide SX2, then if the disulfir dihalide is needed, subsequent distillation of the SX2 with sulfur.

Would this procedure provesufficient to prepare monosulfur diiodide or dibromide?
What about the second step to produce disulfur dihalides?

Any preperation of the corresponding thionyl compounds would be appreciated BTW.

Thanks.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Sulfur halide preperation?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 06:36:52 PM »
The halides should all react about the same.  If anything I would think that Br2 and I2 would react at lower temperature than Cl2.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 07:49:28 PM »
I know the sulfur has to be boiling, or the halogen isn't well absorbed.

I heard iodine only reacts with great difficulty, I dont suppose you have any references to the properties of the iodine and bromind compounds do you? thanks.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 08:46:47 PM »
Really?  That surprise me.  Can't you just use some solvent that iodine/bromine is soluble in?

I don't have any references.  This is a little more inorganic than I am usually interested in.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »
Same here, I want thionyl iodide or bromide for an organic synthesis, involving a nucleophillic halogenation on the bisulfite cleaveage product of vitamin B1.

It has, I beelieve, been done with thionyl chloride, I am however, interested in some new halogenated analogues of the product, with Br or I instead of Cl.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 03:29:55 AM »
Thionyl bromide is seriously nasty.  Not that thionyl chloride is a walk in the park....

Anyway, I have no idea how to make them.  They're commercially available through chemical suppliers.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 04:43:17 PM »
Yeah I know I could just order most of whatever I need, three problems for me though, I have no credit card, so can't place an order other than with my solo card, some reagents might cause a stir, "hey, what does this 18 year old citizen wanting with thionyl bromide" type questions, and 3, a chronic lack of money LOL ;D

Sponsored Links