March 29, 2024, 11:29:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Luminol Chemiluminescence  (Read 4338 times)

Offline lebabrewot

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Luminol Chemiluminescence
« on: October 21, 2006, 11:21:11 PM »
Hello All,
I have to write a lab report on the chemiluminescence of luminol.  The lab required the use of hydrogen peroxide, sodium hydroxide, water and bleach, oh and luminol of course.  I need to find out the reactions that take place when luminol is mixed with any of the above.  An example of the type of mixtures we made are as follows: we mixed bleach and sodium hydroxide in one well and water and luminol in another well.  We then took 3 pipet drops of the bleach and sodium mixture and added them to the water and luminol mixture.  Does anyone know of any websites or books that can give me some more detail on what happens in the chemical reaction that causes chemiluminescence as well as what happens in the chemical reaction that prevents chemiluminescence?  Also, I am trying to find information about what kind of weaknesses or problems that could have been encountered.  I don't remember seeing anything that could have been a problem except that some of the mixture did not glow.  An example of the type of mixtures we made were we mixed bleach and sodium hydroxide in one well and water an luminol in another well.  We then took 3 pipet drops of the bleach and sodium mixture and added them to the water and luminol mixture. 

Chad

Sponsored Links