April 23, 2024, 03:09:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Questions about white vinegar and evaporation  (Read 649 times)

Offline boiling

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Questions about white vinegar and evaporation
« on: September 01, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »
I have a random vinegar question.

I have some small cups of a white vinegar/water solution (about 3 to 1 water to vinegar) throughout my house to trap gnats. It's about 1 cup of total mixture in each trap, and probably 8 traps in an 1100sq foot space.

I noticed I had to refill these cups every couple of weeks due to evaporation (they have been out for about a month).

Is the vinegar/acetic acid itself evaporating or just the water?

At this concentration and volume, is it harmful to have this mixture out and evaporating into the air I breathe?
I had the thought today it could be harmful, even though lots of people use this as a way to get rid of flies, but I just wanted to check from a scientific perspective.

Thanks!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Questions about white vinegar and evaporation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 09:56:29 PM »
Is the vinegar/acetic acid itself evaporating or just the water?
Both. Vinegar is about 95% water, depending on the strength. If you evaporate more than 5%, you know you're evaporating water. And if you can smell the vinegar, you know you are evaporating acetic acid.

At this concentration and volume, is it harmful to have this mixture out and evaporating into the air I breathe?
No. Considering that you can drink the stuff and people clean their floors with it....
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links