Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

Sodium citrate and Aluminum lactate

(1/2) > >>

snowlery:
Hello, I am not a chemist but I have a question for which I cannot find any answer:

If you put together aluminum lactate and sodium citrate, is it possible that some aluminum citrate and some sodium lactate will be formed?

Please, could you help me with any answer you could have?

With best regards

rolnor:
If you dissolve them in water you get a mixture of the ions. I dont know if aluminium citrate is water soluble, if not it will precipitate. Can you explain what you want to make? Maybe there is a better way.

Borek:
First thing first: as long as these substances are just dissolved speaking of their identities doesn't make much sense. They dissociate, so the solution doesn't contain salts per se, just ions.

Solution prepared by dissolving sodium chloride and potassium iodide is identical to the solution prepared by dissolving sodium iodide and potassium chloride (assuming you paid attention to concentrations). It contains Na+, K+, Cl- and I-. That's exactly the same type of situation.

If you evaporate the solution to crash out salts, they can precipitate in some specific order, which can be to some extent equivalent to doing the metathesis reaction.

rolnor:

--- Quote from: Borek on September 10, 2021, 04:33:49 AM ---First thing first: as long as these substances are just dissolved speaking of their identities doesn't make much sense. They dissociate, so the solution doesn't contain salts per se, just ions.

Solution prepared by dissolving sodium chloride and potassium iodide is identical to the solution prepared by dissolving sodium iodide and potassium chloride (assuming you paid attention to concentrations). It contains Na+, K+, Cl- and I-. That's exactly the same type of situation.

If you evaporate the solution to crash out salts, they can precipitate in some specific order, which can be to some extent equivalent to doing the metathesis reaction.

--- End quote ---

I did mention that they become ions?

Borek:

--- Quote from: rolnor on September 10, 2021, 09:06:34 AM ---I did mention that they become ions?
--- End quote ---

Yes, I just added a dot over "i" ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version