March 28, 2024, 06:41:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium citrate and Aluminum lactate  (Read 874 times)

Offline snowlery

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium citrate and Aluminum lactate
« on: September 10, 2021, 02:41:54 AM »
Hello, I am not a chemist but I have a question for which I cannot find any answer:

If you put together aluminum lactate and sodium citrate, is it possible that some aluminum citrate and some sodium lactate will be formed?

Please, could you help me with any answer you could have?

With best regards

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Sodium citrate and Aluminum lactate
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 03:25:54 AM »
If you dissolve them in water you get a mixture of the ions. I dont know if aluminium citrate is water soluble, if not it will precipitate. Can you explain what you want to make? Maybe there is a better way.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 04:33:49 AM »
First thing first: as long as these substances are just dissolved speaking of their identities doesn't make much sense. They dissociate, so the solution doesn't contain salts per se, just ions.

Solution prepared by dissolving sodium chloride and potassium iodide is identical to the solution prepared by dissolving sodium iodide and potassium chloride (assuming you paid attention to concentrations). It contains Na+, K+, Cl- and I-. That's exactly the same type of situation.

If you evaporate the solution to crash out salts, they can precipitate in some specific order, which can be to some extent equivalent to doing the metathesis reaction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 09:06:34 AM »
First thing first: as long as these substances are just dissolved speaking of their identities doesn't make much sense. They dissociate, so the solution doesn't contain salts per se, just ions.

Solution prepared by dissolving sodium chloride and potassium iodide is identical to the solution prepared by dissolving sodium iodide and potassium chloride (assuming you paid attention to concentrations). It contains Na+, K+, Cl- and I-. That's exactly the same type of situation.

If you evaporate the solution to crash out salts, they can precipitate in some specific order, which can be to some extent equivalent to doing the metathesis reaction.

I did mention that they become ions?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »
I did mention that they become ions?

Yes, I just added a dot over "i" ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »
@OP, do you know what chelation means?

Sponsored Links