March 28, 2024, 10:22:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Some help needed for a dissertation on the use of Fluoride in water and dental p  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Biggie2424

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am in Year 12, going onto Year 13 this September, and I have been working on an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). To put it simply, it's basically just a dissertation, but there are other admin-related tasks that come with it. My title is: 'To what extent is it safe to use fluoride in water and dental products and should we continue to do so?'. One thing that I wish to explore is the chemistry behind why fluoride can be harmful. However upon doing quite a bit of research, I have found nothing. Is it possible for me to discuss this? Or is it too complicated? If anyone could maybe give me a brief explanation or point me towards some resources that would help me out, I would really appreciate it :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:57:31 AM by sjb »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
You mean chemistry behind things like dental fluorosis?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Concentration of fluorine in drinking water is limited to 1,5 mg / liter in Canada, China and European Union, but to 4,0 mg / liter in the United States.

Higher concentrations of fluorine can be harmful due to the dental or worse - skeletal fluorosis - when fluorine causes substition of Ca3(PO4)2 in bones (Ca3(PO4)2 ----> CaF2)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 09:27:01 AM by Orcio_Dojek »

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
It has long been known that fluoride ion inhibits glycolysis, but whether or not this is relevant to your question is not something that I can answer.  You could try a search using PubMed.

Offline Biggie2424

@Orcio_Dojek Thanks for the help. Can you please explain the substitution of Ca3(PO4)2 in the bones a little bit more? Or refer me to some good sources of information about it? I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere. Thanks!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
Have you tried to search using PubMed?

Offline Biggie2424

Yes

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
"The effect of fluoride on apatite structure and growth" Biol Med. 1997;8(2):136-53.  doi: 10.1177/10454411970080020301.

Sometimes you have to play around with the PubMed search terms a bit.

Sponsored Links