April 28, 2024, 12:21:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: if the atom 'Na' would gain or lose electrons when forming ions?  (Read 15731 times)

Offline Beasticly

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Ok, so I've just started on Chem this year.

I have a question asking me if the atom 'Na' would gain or lose electrons when forming ions. I thought that the atoms rings, are 2, 8, 8. I know Na has 10 electrons because Na has a charge of +1 and has 11 protons, meaning that the electrons have to be 1 less than the protons, so, 10.

To me, this means that both the 1st and 2nd ring of the atom are full, and the atom is happy and does not want to gain or lose any electrons. Can someone please explain to me weather it should lose or gain electrons to form an ion. The way I see it, it can either lose 8 or gain 8 which is both equally as hard.

The next part of the question asks what is the most likely ion to form, which I'm guessing would be either cation or anion although I'm not sure how to figure that out..

Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:25:24 AM by Mitch »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Anyone help me with this easy question?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:13:27 PM »
When one talks of atoms, you assume that there are an equal number of protons and electrons.  So sodium atoms (Na) have 11 electrons.  So, you've already answered your question since sodium ions (Na+) have 10 electrons and have two full shells of electrons.

Offline rjtheone

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »
First, Na has 11 electrons and 11 protons. Its ionic charge is +1 because it loses 1 electron to become a positively charge ion, Na^+1 ( 11+ (-10)= +1). Na loses an electron because it's way easier to lose 1 electron than to gain 7 to satisfy the octet rule.

Offline Beasticly

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:46:22 PM »
Ah, so every atom starts of with equal protons and electrons but then tries to either lose or gain electrons so the rings are full?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: if the atom 'Na' would gain or lose electrons when forming ions?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:54:10 AM »
Yup.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 08:32:46 PM »
Tip: It helps to write out the electronic configuration sometimes.

Na: [Ne]3s1 (short hand version) or 1s22s22p63s1 (long hand)

The short hand version is nice because it shows only valence electrons, but the long hand shows you all the other electrons. I used to do this when I first started to learn chemistry quite a few years ago.

Note: This is only good for simple atoms like Na. Also don't rely on it much. Use it as an aid when you first start to learn like I did. Many atoms have multiple oxidation states.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:21:24 AM »
There is known one example where Na can gain 1 electron (Na- H+-complexed)
AWK

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 05:33:55 PM »
I have a friend who works with alkali metal anions.  Apparently, in solution (I think he uses THF as a solvent), sodium metal will disolve to form:

2 Na(s) <--> Na+ + Na-

By adding crown ethers to complex the Na+, you can drive the equilibrium to favor the formation of a decently high concentration of Na- (high enough to do spectroscopy on, at least).

Sponsored Links