April 19, 2024, 04:56:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the difference between constitutional isomers and chiral compounds?  (Read 947 times)

Offline lord farquaad

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is my line of thinking true?
1. Two molecules that are constitutional isomers may be chiral compounds.
2. However, two molecules that are chirals can't be constitutional. (because the connectivity is too different?)

Or are they mutually exclusive?

I find the vocabulary in this chapter not very intuitive... we learned about a chair flip earlier this week. Instead of the entire molecule flipping over, its as if people at a table each get up and move one seat over. Then the hydrogens or other groups flip. I was confused the first half of lecture just because I misunderstanding of the word flip.

I'm getting plenty of practice and using molecule model set, any other tips to help integrate this vocabulary is appreciated.

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: What is the difference between constitutional isomers and chiral compounds?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »
1. Two molecules that are constitutional isomers may be chiral compounds.
True....
2. However, two molecules that are chirals can't be constitutional. (because the connectivity is too different?)
You are asking about two chirals molecules, or two enantiomers of the same molecule ?

Because two diffent chiral molecules may be constitutional isomers.

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: What is the difference between constitutional isomers and chiral compounds?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 05:56:01 PM »
The phrase "two molecules that are chirals" is difficult to parse.  Do you mean two molecules that are enantiomers of each other or something else?

Sponsored Links