March 28, 2024, 08:34:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Analytical options for Total Sulfur in aggregates - GC?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline JamieB7798

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Analytical options for Total Sulfur in aggregates - GC?
« on: October 03, 2021, 05:03:45 PM »
Hello, I test building materials (aggregates) for total sulfur content and currently use a wet chemical method.

My spec has an alternative method of high temperature combustion (2000 C for 30 sec) to measure sulfur dioxide. I'm not that in touch with analytical equipment, but from what I can see this would mean an induction oven with infrared detectors fitted ( a CS analyser for example)? Is any form of gas chromatography suitable for a 1g of fine dust sample?

Or is it possible to extract the total sulfur into solution to allow the use of GC? Currently I add 1g to 20 mL of water, 10 mL of hydrogen peroxide and heat for 30 mins to oxidise, then add 20 mL of 18 % HCl and heat for a further 30 mins to allow the sample to digest. Once filtered, would it be possible to run this through a GC?

If there are any methods I'm overlooking please feel free to let me know.

Jamie

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Analytical options for Total Sulfur in aggregates - GC?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 05:09:35 PM »
We've done sulfur analysis by ICP-MS.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links