April 19, 2024, 05:45:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acidic Ether cleavage question  (Read 1138 times)

Offline mranderson

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acidic Ether cleavage question
« on: October 15, 2021, 11:43:20 AM »
Can somebody explain to me why this reaction would form an alcohol rather than alkyl halide. I predicted that the ether oxygen would be protonated and then able to leave to form a carbocation (SN1), but if that were the case, why would the chloride attack the methanol carbon rather than the carbocation intermediate?

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: Acidic Ether cleavage question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »
I predicted that the ether oxygen would be protonated and then able to leave to form a carbocation (SN1), but if that were the case, why would the chloride attack the methanol carbon rather than the carbocation intermediate?
Maybe chloride doesn't attack anything (methanol), but acts more like a catalyst.

After all - concentration of HCl is not given, and molar concentration of H2O is bigger even in conc. HCl.

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 05:42:17 AM »
Maybe chloride doesn't attack anything (methanol), but acts more like a catalyst.Maybe chloride doesn't attack anything (methanol), but acts more like a catalyst.
It should be "maybe the chloride doesn't attack anything, but HCl acts more like a catalyst" (sorry for the typo).

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
Bingo. Water is the nucleophile.

Sponsored Links