April 24, 2024, 06:09:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Measuring the amount of Methane in the Atmosphere  (Read 724 times)

Offline Xatus

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Measuring the amount of Methane in the Atmosphere
« on: October 21, 2021, 06:59:40 AM »
Hi, me and some friends want to measure the amount of methane in the atmosphere at a height of 1000m for a school project. We are currently facing the problem that the sensors we find don’t have enough resolution to measure because of the relative low amount of methane in the atmosphere. do you know of some sensors that have a high enough resolution to measure methane that don’t cost too much. Sorry for bad grammar and spelling I’m not a native speaker.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Measuring the amount of Methane in the Atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 08:12:47 AM »
I am not following methane sensors technology, but in general low concentration almost always means one needs high sensitivity, high sensitivity almost always means costly sensor. With atmospheric methane levels around single ppm you are definitely in the very low concentration area.

There are specific cases where this is not true, but with methane being rather simple, highly symmetric molecule, I am afraid you can be out of luck.

You might want to try to contact university in your area, preferably look for analytical/spectroscopy department.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links