March 29, 2024, 02:46:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CHNSO - combustion for organic elemental analysis  (Read 1367 times)

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
CHNSO - combustion for organic elemental analysis
« on: October 31, 2021, 06:14:56 PM »
Hi

I have a dobut: with a CHNSO elemental analyzers can I analyze only the C/N/S/O/H with an  "organic origin" ?

i.e. If in my organic sample there is also (for example) some inorganic carbon with an elemental analyzers it will be determinated like an interferent? (it would be a problem...i think)

Or inorganic carbon (or Nitrogen or sulfur) is not combusted in this process, with those temperatures ?
Another example the TOX analysis for determination of "organic halide"" in water....so if there is some  inorganic Cl2 will not be determinated??

THANKS
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 06:32:01 PM by xshadow »

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: CHNSO - combustion for organic elemental analysis
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 07:05:23 PM »
Correct, it cannot distinguish the origin of a material. That requires examination of the 13C to 12C ratio, which is an entirely different analysis.

Can't speak to the halide analysis.

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: CHNSO - combustion for organic elemental analysis
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 02:42:24 PM »
Correct, it cannot distinguish the origin of a material. That requires examination of the 13C to 12C ratio, which is an entirely different analysis.

Can't speak to the halide analysis.

For halide analysis in water (for example) I've found that I can separate the inorganic halide (es: Cl-) using a filter with an activated carbon filter.  The organic compunds will be adosrbed by the filter and then they could be analyzed selectively

Sponsored Links