April 24, 2024, 12:10:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining principal quantum number  (Read 949 times)

Offline fatberg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determining principal quantum number
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:10:42 PM »
I have been asked to determine n1 and n2 for a (given) series. I understand that series are defined by having a constant n1 but is there a way to calculate it?

I have been given the Rydberg constant, the lowest energy line wavelength in nm, and the wavelength for the 6th line of the series. I've tried to form an algebraic equation but end up with reciprocal quadratics which are beyond the scope of what is required.

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
Re: Determining principal quantum number
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 03:02:54 AM »
What is the problem saying? Sometimes the principal quantum number can be extracted from knowledge of the electron configuration.

Otherwise the equation I suspect you are trying to use is given here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_formula#For_hydrogen

Correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Determining principal quantum number
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 03:52:40 AM »
You can always try brute force approach, calculate series for several different n/n pairs and see which fits.

In general it should be doable just by writing a series of simultaneous equations in two unknowns. Yes, solving can be difficult, as these equations are non-linear.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links