April 19, 2024, 09:51:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: LIBS spectroscopy  (Read 1184 times)

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
LIBS spectroscopy
« on: November 08, 2021, 04:19:45 PM »
Hi

I don't understand why in LIBS I have a strong matrix effect!

Plasma temperatures reached in libs are very high (9000K) so the matrix should be destroyed ...mhhh

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: LIBS spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 10:47:49 PM »
In some ways the same reason you get matrix effects in other methods that depend on sample atomization, coupled with the fact that ablation physics are complicated and frankly not very well understood.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 07:06:50 AM »
In some ways the same reason you get matrix effects in other methods that depend on sample atomization, coupled with the fact that ablation physics are complicated and frankly not very well understood.

So due te the strong matrix effect LIBS is usually  used for semi-quantitative determination....LODs are high, right?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »
Not an expert by any means but my understanding is that full quantitative analysis using LIBS is achievable, even without material standards. Just google "quantitative LIBS spectroscopy" or some such and you'll find lots of hits.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links