April 16, 2024, 02:47:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: a cover letter for post doc submission  (Read 3657 times)

Offline NikaR

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
a cover letter for post doc submission
« on: February 06, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »
hi all
I want to apply for post doc position in Europe or canada, and I have written a cover letter, please tell me if you were the professor who decides for the application, would you accept it or not and why?
thanks for your comments in advance.

Dear Dr. Reader
I am currently a PhD graduate in Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch of Tehran and I am writing to inquire about the possibility of a postdoctoral position in your laboratory. I have graduated since 9th September 2013, and since then I have worked on Alprazolam synthesis project in University of Tehran for 5 months. After that I started as a lecturer from 24th September 2014 at Islamic Azad University Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch, Islamic Azad University Science and Research branch and University of Applied Science and Technology. And also I have published two books on organic chemistry topic and one under publish entitled general chemistry 1 in a simple word.
My Graduate work was focused on organic synthesis methodologies via deep eutectic solvents as green solvent and catalyst. I worked under supervision of Dr. Mahdavi and Dr. Mardi at Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Research Center and also I have worked on computational chemistry topic with Dr. Majidi group on Biginelli reaction. These works were published in 9 ISI papers on Science direct, Springer and American Scientific Publishers databases. My work suggested that some important reactions such as Groebke weber, Ugi and Passerini reactions and some other reactions can run in deep eutectic solvents without any organic solvent or catalyst.
During the course of my graduate work since now I have become very interested in organic synthesis especially total synthesis research. Thus I am quite interested in the work going on in your laboratory.
Enclosed is a copy of my CV. I look forward to hear from you soon.
Sincerely yours

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: a cover letter for post doc submission
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 12:55:29 PM »
Hi, I just corrected your English syntax. Bolded spots are where I changed things. The bit about books needs to be clarified (how many books and what topic is each book on?)

Dear Dr. Reader
I am currently a PhD graduate in Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch of Tehran and I am writing to inquire about the possibility of a postdoctoral position in your laboratory. I graduated September 9th 2013, and since then I have worked on an Alprazolam synthesis project in University of Tehran for 5 months. After that I started as a lecturer on the 24th of September 2014 at Islamic Azad University Pharmaceutical Sciences Branch, Islamic Azad University Science and Research branch and University of Applied Science and Technology. I have also published two books on organic chemistry and one under publish entitled general chemistry 1 in a simple word. (I am not sure what book is what but this whole sentence needs to be redone to make it clearer and have correct english)

My graduate work was focused on organic synthesis methodologies via deep eutectic solvents as a green solvent and catalyst. I worked under the supervision of Dr. Mahdavi and Dr. Mardi at the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Research Center and also I have worked on computational chemistry (deleted) with Dr. Majidi's group involving the Biginelli reaction. These works were published in 9 ISI papers on Science direct, Springer and American Scientific Publishers databases. My work suggested that some important reactions such as Groebke weber, Ugi and Passerini reactions and some other reactions can run in deep eutectic solvents without any organic solvent or catalyst.
During the course of my graduate work (deleted words) I have become very interested in complex organic synthesis especially total synthesis research. Thus I am quite interested in the work going on in your laboratory.
Enclosed is a copy of my CV. I look forward to hear from you soon.
Sincerely yours

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »
This is too generic. For a post-doc letter you need to be more forward about why you're interested in the lab you're sending this to and provide specific information about what your background will bring to the research program. Every letter should be tailored to the person you're sending it to.

Also, just being honest: if I received a letter from someone who received their PhD in 2013 - 9 years ago - my first question would be why is this person still trying to get a post-doc position? That's a red flag. You may want to address it head on.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline NikaR

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 11:55:50 AM »
thanks for your comments, all were great, about why I am seeking for post doc opportunity after 9 years, I should explain that I have 3 reasons:
1- I don't have a stable position in my country,
2- I am very interested in research projects
3- migration because of critical situation of my country
is there any way to achieve a research position in a scientific group except post-doc?

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 12:41:30 PM »
Try and get a job in industry rather than postdoc. In Canada you'll be paid at least double a postdoc salary. But then again its probably easier to get a visa as a postdoc.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +320/-22
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 04:12:07 PM »
I agree with Corribus.  You might want to point out a specific research problem in your prospective mentor's laboratory and at least explain what grabbed your attention (stoked your curiosity) about it.  You used the word "interested" twice.  This word is bland; it is better to use more vibrant or more specific words.  If there is any way that your skill set can be applied to a specific problem in this individual's laboratory, that would be even better.

Sponsored Links