March 28, 2024, 04:17:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydroesterification styrene  (Read 923 times)

Soulja

Hydroesterification styrene
« on: November 23, 2021, 05:22:49 AM »
Hello guys, I need your help on an exercise. I have to write the mechanism of hydroesterification of styrene. In the exercise they gave me the complex  : [(dippe)Ni(PhCHCH2)], CO, MeOH and a styrene. So, for me, the complex got 16 electrons because dippe and styrene are L ligands, and Ni° = 10 electrons. In the first step of the mechanism they said that the oxidation state of my complex is changed by 2 units. So that means that 2 ligands X are added on my Nickel. But I don't know which ligands are linked to my nickel. Is that styrene ?

Thank you for your help (sorry for my English, not my first language).

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: Hydroesterification styrene
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 08:04:24 AM »
In the exercise they gave me the complex  : [(dippe)Ni(PhCHCH2)], CO, MeOH and a styrene. So, for me, the complex got 16 electrons because dippe and styrene are L ligands, and Ni° = 10 electrons. In the first step of the mechanism they said that the oxidation state of my complex is changed by 2 units. So that means that 2 ligands X are added on my Nickel.
If addition of 2 ligands means change of oxidation state by 2 units (increase or decrease), then how is this compatible with [(dippe)Ni(PhCHCH2)] and Ni0 = 10 electrons that you have write here ? Because both "dippe" [(CH3)2CH]2-P-CH2-CH2-[CH(CH3)2]2 and styrene does not look like potential oxidizers / reductants (one must did oxidize Ni0, second reduce it back).

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: Hydroesterification styrene
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »
I think it is just a variant of the Koch reaction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_reaction

The olefine is the styrene, and the place of water takes the methanol.

Sponsored Links