March 28, 2024, 11:23:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ethene with potassium manganate(VII) - alkaline and acidic environment  (Read 765 times)

Offline nela.maze

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dear Chemists,

Last week we had alkenes in school. We briefly covered the theme of the reaction of ethene with potassium manganate(VII) in a neutral environment. We did the redox reactions to this, and it was something like this:
2 MnO4- + 3 CH2=CH2 + 4 H2:rarrow: 2 MnO2 :spindown: + 3 CH2OH-CH2OH + 2 OH-

However, we did not talk about what happens in an acidic or alkaline environment. I googled it but couldn't find it anywhere. So I just assumed the product was still ethylene glycol. Why? Because when manganate reacts with another reducing agent, for example, SO32-, this reagent in all environments ends up being SO42-. That is why I assumed that in all environments ethene turns to ethylene glycol. Is that true?

I also did the redox reactions and they seem okay

in an acidic environment:
2 MnO4- + 5 CH2=CH2 + 6 H+ + 2H2:rarrow: 2 Mn2+ + 5 CH2OH-CH2OH

in an alkaline environment:
2 MnO4- + CH2=CH2 + 2 OH-  :rarrow: 2 MnO42- + CH2OH-CH2OH

Please tell me if it's right and if it's not right, what do we get when ethene reacts with potassium manganate(VII) in and acidic and alkaline environment.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ethene with potassium manganate(VII) - alkaline and acidic environment
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 03:18:40 AM »
The lower the pH, the stronger oxidizing properties of permanganate, and alcohols are quite easy to oxidize further.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links