April 26, 2024, 03:19:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesizing pentyl hexanoate I tried it myself what should I do next?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline ryukomatoiwaifu17

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question: Starting with two alkanes and any non-organic compounds, synthesize the following Ester: Penthyl Hexanoate. Name each reaction, with the condition needed, name each compound once, use IUPAC names, and use the line structural diagrams only. Write the esterification reaction between your organic acid and organic base at the end.

Hi I tried this myself can someone please explain what I should do next please.

Here’s the link to the photo: https://imgur.com/a/h46obwC
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 02:30:06 AM by ryukomatoiwaifu17 »

Re: Synthesizing penthyl hexanoate I tried it myself what should I do next?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 12:57:16 AM »
So that photo I attended in the imgur album was a photo of what I did. I drew penthyl hexanoate and it’s chemical formula. Like what do I do next?

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 12:59:21 AM »
I don’t understand what the question is asking for. Can someone explain in like number steps what I’m supposed to do to get the solution.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 01:38:05 AM »
Structure (in case the image breaks)CCCCCC(=O)OCCCCC

What reactions do you know that make esters? Note that the name is pentyl hexanoate (not penthyl, in case that has search issues - I've amended the first post in the thread to reflect this).

Re: Synthesizing pentyl hexanoate I tried it myself what should I do next?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 02:00:32 AM »
Okay so I know sjb that esters are made when carboxyclic acids are heated in the presence of an acid catalyst.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 02:02:03 AM »
An acid catalyst is the acceleration and increases r of a chemical reaction of an acid or base the acid or bases itself not being consumed by the reaction.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 02:04:01 AM »
Also thanks man for the spelling correction.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 02:16:02 AM »
So now I’m wondering what creates pentyl hexanoate like what conposes it well here’s my thoughts:
Pentyl means it’s had five carbons and is part of the alkyl group with the chemical formula c5h11

Hexanoate has a molecular formula of C6H11O22 it’s a carbonoxyclic acid.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 02:37:09 AM »
so now that an ester is created from hexatone cause hexatone is regarded as a a a carboxyclic acid. Its created by esterfication.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »
One way to work problems of this kind is to start with the product and work backward one step at a time.  A carboxylic acid needs a partner molecule (not the catalyst) to become an ester.  What class of molecule is needed?

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 10:35:58 AM »
so the product is supposedly pentyl hexanoate
when refering to working backwards your saying retro synthesis how can i start retro synthesis

A carboxylic acid needs a partner molecule (not the catalyst) to become an ester.  What class of molecule is needed?

the carboxylic acid is hexaonate referes to hexaconic acid so this is the carboxylic acid in the original ester.
im wondering how do i get the aprtner molecule. I know the carboxylic acid its hexaconic acid but what is its partner molecule
 chemical formula CH3(CH2)4COOH for hexaconic
i know the class of molecule required is an alchohol.

In order to make an ester i need the carboxylic acid and an alykl or alchohol to become an ester. Now im wodnering what the next step is

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
The difference between alkanes arlcholos and carboxylic acids

all are carbon hydrogen based.

alkanes have one single bond between all the atoms in the structure.

Alchohols possess a hydroxil group (-Oh) bound to a saturated carbon atom. One can have multpile hydroxils bound in a structuree generating diols (2=OH) triols (3-OH). only the carbon atom needs to be saturated the rest of the structure may contain double or triple bonds between carbons

Carboxylic acids contain carboxyl group which is a carbon atom bound by a double bond to an oxygen and by a single bond a hydroxil group, the rest o the structure may contain other ogranic groups as well as single double or triple bonds between carbons.

so now im wondering.... what alchohol and carboxylic acids would be suitable for the ester which is the main final product.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 10:42:13 AM »
One way to think about this is to write the equation for an alcohol and an acid forming an ester.  R1CO2H + R2OH  ::equil:: R1CO2R2 + H2O.  Are any carbon atoms gained or lost in the esterification?  You know how many carbons must be in this alcohol (it can be inferred from what you have already written).  Now work backward again.  What common class of organic molecules can be converted into an alcohol?  This same idea of working backward can be applied to hexanoic acid.  What is one way to make carboxylic acids from another organic molecule?

BTW, I suspect that the synthesis in the exercise will not have a high yield, but you were not asked to consider yield.  Therefore, I would not give yield too much thought.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 11:02:11 AM »

the common class of organic molecules that can be converted into an alcohol are a hydroxyl (OH) functional group. The hydroxyl OH group. Hydroxy group. The hydroxy group s a functional group with the chemical formula -OH and composed of one oxygen atom covalently bonded to one hydrogen atom.

Hexanoic acid or carboxylic acids in general can be created from another organic molecule is from oxidization converting both to alcohols (pentanol and hexanol) and further oxidizing hexanol to hexanoic acid. Am i correct?

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 11:07:15 AM »
for the example of the formual you presented me R1CO2H + R2OH  ::equil:: R1CO2R2 + H2O. atoms are lost. The atom that derives the atom loses elecctrons had been oxidized.

Sponsored Links