March 29, 2024, 04:11:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Turbidimetric titration protocol  (Read 1402 times)

Offline lou25

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Turbidimetric titration protocol
« on: December 19, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
Hello,

I am on a never ending literature chase for the protocol for turbidimetric titration. I am trying to prepare a phase diagram for a deep eutectic solvent. It is unclear to me if there is a device that is used to measure turbidity as I add dropwise of one reagent into another.

I assumed that I would just look for signs of cloudiness but I was informed that there are more sophisticated ways to measure turbidity.

Can anyone direct me to a protocol for this sort of titration?

Thank you!

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: Turbidimetric titration protocol
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 12:32:05 PM »
For measurement of turbidity you will need a nephelometer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephelometer). Signs of cloudiness are not visible with a naked eye.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 10:43:09 PM »
I used to use IR probes. any obscuring of the beam was caused by turbidity. You can measure a very accurate endpoint by a drop in signal.

Offline lou25

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 01:50:45 AM »
I used to use IR probes. any obscuring of the beam was caused by turbidity. You can measure a very accurate endpoint by a drop in signal.

Hi, is there a specific piece of equipment (brand?) that you use and could share a link to?
I am working in very small amounts and I am not sure how relevant this will be (maybe I will need to work in larger amounts if I can't find something relevant for less than 10 ml).

Offline lou25

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 01:51:31 AM »
For measurement of turbidity you will need a nephelometer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephelometer). Signs of cloudiness are not visible with a naked eye.

This can measure while titrating? Maybe I am not looking at the correct images of the device.

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 11:19:46 AM »
Laboratory nephelometer is much smaller than shown on the wikipedia. But (if my memory is correct) device need to be closed to measure the turbidity, so this will complicate the titration.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »
The probes I used were very small and thin. You can measure down to a few ml if you have the right container. I used the integrity 10 system which is a 10 vessel controlled heating and cooling machine which had ten tubes where you can stick a couple of probes in. I did it to measure metastable band widths but you can get good readings if you're just adding dropwise.

IR/NIR probe (part no. ATS10394/1) custom made for Integrity 10 by Hellma.

Watch this video about the system, they stick the IR probe in at 0:44. I'm not sure if it would attach to something else but you can inquire. If the below link doesnt work just search Electrothermal Integrity 10 in youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjTFOamssOo

Sponsored Links