January 27, 2022, 04:26:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: An expanding liquid or gas  (Read 494 times)

Soulja

An expanding liquid or gas
« on: December 21, 2021, 06:36:52 PM »
Hi,

Is there a widely available liquid or gas out there that'd rapidly expand (and subside) upon an "irritation" created by a simple electric circuit? For example, a tiny spark, a voltage change, a magnetic field change etc. Preferably the gas doesn't heat up substantially.

Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1746/-403
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: An expanding liquid or gas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:58:31 AM »
None that I am aware of. I do remember reading about polymers that were promising for kind of an "artificial muscle" application - but they were solid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +497/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: An expanding liquid or gas
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
Depends on what you mean by "rapid" and the amount of expansion you want. This property in solids is called piezoelectricity - application of mechanical force results in charging (and vice-versa - application of charging results in mechanical force). Because liquids (and certainly gasses) do not respond the same way to mechanical/sheer force as solids, this isn't something you usually associate with liquids and gasses. I believe piezoelectricity has been observed in some liquid crystals, but that may not be what you're looking for.

If electrical discharge causes a gas or liquid to heat, this would result in expansion..
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links