March 28, 2024, 04:58:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: An expanding liquid or gas  (Read 2621 times)

Soulja

An expanding liquid or gas
« on: December 21, 2021, 06:36:52 PM »
Hi,

Is there a widely available liquid or gas out there that'd rapidly expand (and subside) upon an "irritation" created by a simple electric circuit? For example, a tiny spark, a voltage change, a magnetic field change etc. Preferably the gas doesn't heat up substantially.

Thanks.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: An expanding liquid or gas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:58:31 AM »
None that I am aware of. I do remember reading about polymers that were promising for kind of an "artificial muscle" application - but they were solid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
Depends on what you mean by "rapid" and the amount of expansion you want. This property in solids is called piezoelectricity - application of mechanical force results in charging (and vice-versa - application of charging results in mechanical force). Because liquids (and certainly gasses) do not respond the same way to mechanical/sheer force as solids, this isn't something you usually associate with liquids and gasses. I believe piezoelectricity has been observed in some liquid crystals, but that may not be what you're looking for.

If electrical discharge causes a gas or liquid to heat, this would result in expansion..
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 03:02:40 PM »
If the gas can get hot, yes, it's called an explosive. Zap, and boom.
Some serve in airbags for instance. These gases don't get so hot. But the reactants are astonishingly dangerous for a car.
Reversibly, that would be much more difficult. At least, you don't hope an effect stronger than the electricity you put in, do you? Energy conservation.

Just heating a gas with the electricity has decent efficiency. Not good, but better than piezoelectricity, magnetoelasticity and so on.

Sponsored Links