March 29, 2024, 03:39:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which units should I choose relating to radio/nuclear chemistry?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline smallmouse54

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Which units should I choose relating to radio/nuclear chemistry?
« on: February 11, 2022, 02:15:40 AM »
Good afternoon. I have recently been accepted into University for a Bachelors of Science and I am enrolling for a major in chemistry. I am based in Australia and I completed both mathematics and chemistry in High School, although some time has passed since I graduated so I am not as well versed in the topic as I once was.

The issue I am facing is that I am uncertain of which elective units/classes to pursue based on what I want to study. I do not have a specific career in mind, however I have a deep love for radiochemistry or nuclear chemistry as a concept. I also enjoy theory work and analytical work, but I dislike more biological or organic chemistry topics. The trouble is that my University does not offer specific courses in radiochemistry/nuclear chemistry, at least not at an undergraduate level. But I want to still choose courses that may relate to that topic, and may help if I choose to continue into a masters degree.

As I said, however, I am not that well versed so I hope that you might be able to help me out. I have written up a table with the course titles, as well as how many classes I am required to take per group. I will list my thoughts below each one to specify what I am having trouble with.

Core Units (Pick 2 of 4)
- Quantitative Skills with Applications
- Calculus and Linear Algebra 1
- Calculus and Linear Algebra 2
- Introduction to Statistical Modelling

I am happy to take Calculus and Linera Algebra 1 as my first choice, so the question is whether Quantitative Skills with Applications or Introduction to Statistical Modelling would be more beneficial to learn for radio/nuclear chemistry. I have no issue with either, just want to hear some input. Honestly I wish I could take all three.

Prescribed Units (Pick 3 of 4)
- Biological and Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry: Quantum and Thermal Structure
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry

I have the most trouble here. My instinct would be to take everything except Biological and Organic Chemistry, however I don't know which branches of chemistry radio/nuclear chemistry would fall under/come close to. So for this group I am asking whether I am safe to do that, or whether organic chemistry is actually the closest related branch to radio/nuclear chemistry, and taking that would actually be the right move. If so, which other unit should I then leave out?

Additional Prescribed Units (Pick 4 of 6)
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Applied Physical Chemistry
- Materials Chemistry
- Forensic and Analytical Chemistry
- Microscopic to Macroscopic Physics and Chemistry

Again, my instinct says take everything except Advanced Organic Chemistry and Medicinal Chemistry. However, in the description for the Advanced Organic Chemistry unit, it specifically states "This unit introduces you to advanced spectroscopic methods used to study and describe the structures of organic compounds, namely proton and carbon-13 nuclear magnetic resonance (1H NMR, 13C NMR and 2D NMR) and mass spectrometry". That statement makes me wonder whether it's actually the best course for my interests, but I may just be misinterpreting this. As in, it is using a technique based on nuclear science, but not directly related to it perhaps. Please let me know what interpretation is correct, and whether it is in fact the correct class to take.

Listed Units 1 (Pick 4 of 12)
- Mathematical Methods in the Sciences
- Introduction to Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Introductory Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- Structural and Metamorphic Geology
- Pharmacology for Research
- Electromagnetism 1
- Topics in Advanced Physical Sciences
- Sensors and Signal Processing
- Multivariable Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- Introduction to Scientific Programming
- Statistical Modelling and Experimental Design

These units have the same issue as above, I'm not entirely certain what branches best fit. For example, is Electromagnetism 1 related or suitable for radio/nuclear chemistry? I'm not sure. If I had to guess from the list, I would say my best choices would be Mathematical Methods in the Sciences, Topics in Advanced Physical Sciences, Sensors and Signal Processing and maybe Statistical Modelling and Experimental Design. Although Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra would fit too I suppose, but I can only choose 4, which makes the decision difficult. I would love to study Introduction to Astronomy and Astrophysics as well, but that's more about my general interest in Astronomy and unrelated to my pursuit for radio/nuclear chemistry classes, so I might have to skip it.

Listed Units 2 (Pick 3 of 7)
- Advanced Biotechnology
- Environmental Geology
- Molecular Basis of Therapeutics
- Digital Electronic Systems
- Applied Photonics
- Human Physiology
- Science Report

Out of the final group, I just want to double check that the choice I've made seems correct. Since I'm not interested in biology or pharmacology or geology, I think the best choices would be Digital Electronic Systems, Applied Photonics and Science Report. Science Report in particular seems to be a self-study unit where you can choose which topic to cover? I think that sounds like it would be perfect, assuming all goes well with the course coordinator.

I understand this is a lot and I apologise in advance. I will give the University a call on Monday as well and ask for some additional information about the courses, but I just wanted to give this forum a try as well and ask for some feedback about this. I'm not the smartest, but I do want to improve and learn more about mathematics and chemistry, so I hope you can forgive me if this post is a little basic in understanding of chemistry. Thank you very much in advance for reading, I look forward to any and all replies!

Sponsored Links