March 28, 2024, 12:06:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Activated carbon contents?  (Read 1667 times)

Gyrax

Activated carbon contents?
« on: December 17, 2021, 07:07:49 PM »
I'v taken apart and started cleaning some activated carbon air filters. Built in a way I can simply pop em in the oven for a few hours to clean, then re pack. Issue comes down to the off gas created by this process. It's a pungent odor that burns your eyes and lungs. Nothing causing serious long term damage (not much more then i'v already done) but still harsh. Any idea what this is? I assumed it would just be everyday hydrocarbons from day to day stuff, but this is just bad.

PS: Air filter is/was just a in home airfilter in the kitchen. Nothing special in a lab or anything.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Activated carbon contents?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 03:39:52 AM »
I assumed it would just be everyday hydrocarbons

Add proteins, so amino acids. That means numerous compounds containing N, S and products of their oxidation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Gyrax

Re: Activated carbon contents?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 05:15:21 AM »
I assumed it would just be everyday hydrocarbons

Add proteins, so amino acids. That means numerous compounds containing N, S and products of their oxidation.
True! That actualy explains a lot. Including the burning eye effect, and the slight smell of urea/ammonia. Thanks!

Sponsored Links