March 28, 2024, 12:54:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Naming  (Read 1031 times)

Offline limbusgrass

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Naming
« on: January 16, 2022, 10:05:24 AM »
I'm currently studying Pharmacy in Germany and we have an exam coming up. Some the questions form the old exams I'm still finding confusing, so if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

One problem is to order a list of chemical compounds to the names. The names are in German, but very similar to English names. However I'm not even sure if these compounds really exist as Google has failed me!

The compounds:
1. Na3AsS3
2. Na3AsSO3
3. Na3AsOS2

The names: (Natrium is sodium, Arsen is arsenic)
a. Natriummonothioarsenat
b. Natriumthioarsenit
c. Natriumtheiooxoarsenit
d. Natriumthioarsenit

My thoughts are that the sulfur and oxygen should be treated the same concerning the oxidation number of arsenic. I would pair (1b), (2a), (3d). However I'm pretty unsure. If I'm missing something, please let me know!
Thank you - Vielen Dank!

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
Re: Naming
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 06:00:46 PM »
Ausgezeichnete arbeit,

Having tried to answer this myself (without initially referring your answers), I came to the same conclusions for 1 and 2; so in the opinion of somebody who is not an inorganic chemist and certainly not any kind of expert in this area, these are correct. I was a bit confused as to why the stated answers for b and d were identical, so I reserve my answer for q3... Is it worth checking both the formula for 3 and stated answer for d perhaps?

As a pharmacist, you're not planning on dispensing these to patients are you?!?!

Tschüss aus Grossbritannien

R   

Offline limbusgrass

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Naming
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 11:57:38 PM »
I'm sorry, I made a mistake with when copying the problem. Na3AsOS2 should be paired with Natriumthiooxoarsenit.

No of course this isn't medication. This exam is for inorganic qualitative analysis (salt analysis) and the lecture to general and inorganic chemistry. Still in the general education part of the program!

Sponsored Links