April 19, 2024, 12:05:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Re-taking Organic Chemistry 1 - How to approach it?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline sanji99

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re-taking Organic Chemistry 1 - How to approach it?
« on: February 01, 2022, 05:07:39 AM »
Hi all,

I am re-taking Organic Chemistry 1 with Dr. Shabbir after P/F the class last semester. How do you re approach a class you did not do well in previously? I would be grateful for any advice regarding how to do better in this class.

Thank you!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Re-taking Organic Chemistry 1 - How to approach it?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 08:23:22 AM »
The obvious thing is to study differently.  Too many students retake classes without rethinking how they are approaching the material.  Organic chemistry is somewhat vertical in that one topic often builds upon a previous topic.  Not falling behind is critical.  To learn reactions, I am a great believer in note cards.

Offline RisingEastStar17

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
  • I also frequently browse/post on r/TheeHive
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 04:45:36 PM »
Since I am also retaking my chemistry classes, I will tell you what I will do to make myself more efficient. I am planning to start from the very basics, periodic table, ionic bonding and basic redox reactions. I will quiz myself on some practice exams and do them until I get a satisfactory score. Then, move onto IUPAC naming and rules regarding it, sure it may sound boring but you need to make sure you don't make previous mistakes. Then, some basic haloalkane synthesis procedures followed by whatever you still need to do.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 11:05:55 PM »
Relearn the general chemistry concepts. You will be expected to know them, and if you don't it will be confusing.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 08:53:34 AM »
Relearn the general chemistry concepts. You will be expected to know them, and if you don't it will be confusing.
This is a solid point.  For example, it is helpful to recognize strong acids and strong bases on sight.  Knowing how pKa and acid strength are related is another fundamental concept.

Sponsored Links