April 19, 2024, 03:43:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: why does oxalic acid solution need to be store in a clean and dry bottle?  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Spasmodic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
hey guys, there is something I'm not really sure about, why does  oxalic acid solution need to be contain in a clean and dry bottle? does water affect the oxalic acid? reacts? cause it to be unstable? i tried to used organic chemistry addition method of water molecule to the oxalic acid molecule. But i don't see why it would it be unstable? please answer me asap. Thanks a million  ;D

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
Oxalic acid solution in a dry bottle????

Any chemical must be stored in a clean bottle in order to avoid contamination. With clean I mean without dust, and without traces of chemicals. When non-aqueous chemicals or solid chemicals are stored, then water also is a contamination.

Some chemicals are extra difficult on storage. They pick up oxygen, carbon dioxide or water from the air very easily and these must be stored in very tightly closed containers, otherwise they will deteriorate quicky.

Oxalic acid exists in two forms. The anhydrous form, H2C2O4, and the dihydrate, H2C2O4.2H2O. The anhydrous form easily picks up water from the air, forming the dihydrate.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline Spasmodic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
hey dude. Ty. Got it. =)

Sponsored Links