March 29, 2024, 06:33:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carbon fiber and Alkyd Enamel  (Read 2082 times)

Offline marchvet

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Carbon fiber and Alkyd Enamel
« on: February 14, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »
I have to preface this post by saying I am just a drone pilot who builds them from the ground up, so my knowledge of chemicals is minimal at best!

There are several carbon fiber frames that have been painted with Krylon matte black spray paint.  From what I have read the ingredient "Alkyd Enamel" in it should not harm the fibers?

I ask because a friend mentioned that he read online "the solvent softens the epoxy and it lets the layers separate a little because they aren't under pressure like when the plates are being made. The solvent then evaporates and the epoxy hardens again but the plate is left slightly weaker.".

Several of my previous frames have been painted with the same brand and I have never noticed any problems.  These were however, smaller 5" race drone frames vs the larger xclass where the arms alone are 370 x 25 x 25 (mm).

Is this something I should be concerned about?  What should I look for in regards to degradation of the fibers?  Or am I thinking way too much about this and it shouldn't be a concern?  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Carbon fiber and Alkyd Enamel
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »
It is not like it is entirely impossible that epoxy weakens because of being treated with traces of a solvent on the surface, but first: it is rather unlikely, second: you won't get any precise answer.

Thing is, it all depends on minute details and properties of the exact resin used, exact procedure used for curing, exact composition of the paint solvent and so on. And even if you were able to provide all these details (some of them are trade secrets, so it is quite unlikely you will be able to collect them), you would need to find someone extremally specialized to answer - most chemists do know basic rules that tell them more or less what to expect, but the only way to be exactly sure is to work with this particular substance and to collect tons of experimental information.

So:
1. I wouldn't care.
2. The only reliable source of information is producer of the frame (don't be surprised if they don't know though - while they typically know how to make the frame, and they probably tested some paints and know that they can be safely used, it is quite unlikely they know _every_ paint and its effects).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline marchvet

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Carbon fiber and Alkyd Enamel
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 02:48:55 PM »
Thank you.  I knew it was a bit more detailed than expected.  I appreciate the insight though!

Sponsored Links