April 25, 2024, 01:36:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about the intermolecular forces within Monosodium Glumate  (Read 1011 times)

Offline randomguessmonkey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi guys, I have a few questions about the salt MSG.

1. Why is it soluble in water? Is it simply because it is a polar ionic compound and polar solutes dissolve in polar solvents?

2. Other than the ionic forces, how do the hydrogen bonds and the dipole dipole attractions affect its properties? Do theses intermolecular forces only start to take place after the salt is dissolved in water and the sodium cation is separated from the glutamate anion?

3. Please feel to share with me some properties of MSG that is caused by its intermolecular forces. Right now, all I know is that the ionic forces between the ions are very strong, therefore it causes MSG to have a really high melting point and boiling point. And because there is ion-ion forces, it also causes MSG to have a crystal shape.

Thanks everyone!

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Question about the intermolecular forces within Monosodium Glumate
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 06:00:14 PM »
Look at the structures of MSG and glutamic acid, now look at their respective solubilities. Can you say why they are so different?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Question about the intermolecular forces within Monosodium Glumate
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
A common organic laboratory experiment involves extracting benzoic acid into an aqueous layer using a base such as NaOH, then adding hydrochloric acid and cooling.  The benzoic acid crystallizes out.  What does this suggest about sodium benzoate vs. benzoic acid with respect to solubility?  Think about a difference in IMFs.

Sponsored Links