March 28, 2024, 10:33:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Possible elastificator for synthetic varnishes/paints?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Le Wins

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Possible elastificator for synthetic varnishes/paints?
« on: February 20, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »
Hi everybody!

I am looking for an elastificator for synthetic varnishes/paints.
More specifically I am looking for some chemical additives/compounds/mixtures which increases the elasticity of the final coating of synthetic (resp. oil based) varnishes/paints.
I don’t know the specific composition of these paints/varnishes in our area (central Europe) but each uses thinner as S6001, S6006, S6005, and as I know these are used for synthetic and oil based varnishes/paints.

Rough description/composition of these solvents (Google translate):
S6001 - Toluene, Hydrocarbons, C9-C12, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cycloalkanes, Aromatic compounds (2-25%)
S6005 - Toluene (REACH 01-2119471310-51-xxxx) and xylene isomers (REACH 01-2119539452-40-xxxx), organic solvents, or other
S6006 - Toluene, xylene, Hydrodesulfurized naphtha fraction

So, is/are there anything suitable for make the coating more elastic?
Approximate price?
Are they commercially available?

Thanks for the response.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Possible elastificator for synthetic varnishes/paints?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 03:09:09 PM »
Some paints are by nature more elastic than others. Based on polyurethane seems a good start. I tried to use a @#!!!$ paint based on silicone for a satellite, it didn't grip at all on aluminium.

I can't tell whether some elastomer can be added to a paint. Unless experiments were already done and are well documented, I'd keep away from that. Too many things can go wrong, ageing being the first worry, adherence the second one.

Offline Le Wins

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Possible elastificator for synthetic varnishes/paints?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 05:40:55 AM »
First of all, thank you for your seponse.

I am willing to experiment, heck, I consider experimenting one of my main drive in my hobbies. Actually I already mixed up different old paints to see which pains are miscible, stays homogenous at least couple of ours or quite the opposite - sets immediately, or which causes some chemical reaction. So far nearly every mixture stayed homogenous (even an 30 years old lead containing oil paint for metal surfaces mixed with an contemporary varnish for wood parquet), except two occasions. The first was when mixed together a green varnish with some mysterious unmarked blue paint – They separated, the blue paint settled to the bottom and become chunky (I guess it was a polyurethane based paint)
The second was a classic all-purpose red paint mixed with gold colored finish paint – the gold coloration/ gold-metallic particles settled.
Polyurethane paint are an option, yes. But I using waste old paints for this project and the nearly all paint are synthetic or oil based.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 07:54:29 AM by Le Wins »

Sponsored Links