March 29, 2024, 01:29:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Uncertainties over 200%  (Read 807 times)

Offline monitac

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Uncertainties over 200%
« on: February 20, 2022, 05:07:09 PM »
I am doing my internal assessment for IB Chemistry and I just realised I has half of my calculations incorrect. However, after correcting them I got uncertainties of over 100 and 200%. I used back titration with inaccurate equipment (gradual cylinders) but still - I don't think I should have THAT high uncertainties.

I would be glad if someone helped my privately with my calculations as there is a lot of data, however, I attach a sample picture and PDF of my data as it might be enough for a mistake to be caught. The calculations are fairly simple, but there is just a lot of them and I feel a bit lost.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Uncertainties over 200%
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 05:14:28 PM »
I have not checked your calculations, but one thing stands out. You are subtracting two numbers of similar magnitude, with moderate uncertainties, and getting a significantly smaller number with relatively large uncertainty. You do this in 10.5 (subtracting two numbers with ca. 10% uncertainty to get an answer with ca. 40% uncertainty), then in 10.7 you take two such numbers and subtract them again, getting an answer with over 200% uncertainty. If you do this repeatedly in a multi-step calculation, the relative uncertainties will quickly increase. It is therefore important to make your initial measurements as accurate as possible - using a graduated cylinder is just not good enough.

Sponsored Links