March 28, 2024, 10:30:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Color center vs metal phthalocyanine  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Jz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Color center vs metal phthalocyanine
« on: February 24, 2022, 12:38:40 AM »
I know F-center is a kind of color center, which by definition, is a type of crystallographic defect in which an anionic vacancy in a crystal lattice is occupied by one or more unpaired electrons.

But can a f-center be an entire molecule embedded in a solid environment? Or does it only mean the unpaired electron in the solid environment (i.e. alkali halide).

Also, it seems to me the situation is quite similar to a metal center of a metal phthalocyanine, they are both some kinds of impurity and are embedded in a phonon environment. What would be the differences between them regarding their transitions, spectrums and their interactions with the environments?

Thank you.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Color center vs metal phthalocyanine
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 08:48:23 AM »
How do you envision that "an entire molecule in a solid environment" could be the same as an ionic vacancy in a crystal lattice?

The photophysics of metal phthalocyanine are nothing like those of an F-center. For one, in most cases the color arising from porphyrinoids does not come from the metal center - it originates from electronic (π :rarrow: π*) transitions centered on the ring. The metal ion can certainly mediate the nature of the transitions, but you can (and do) also have color-generating transitions without a metal center (so-called free-base form).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 10:55:48 AM by Borek »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links