March 28, 2024, 02:52:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 1M, 7.3 pH Tris-HCL Buffer solution  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Calamiteh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
1M, 7.3 pH Tris-HCL Buffer solution
« on: February 25, 2022, 12:15:02 PM »
Hello. I have been trying to mix up a 1 M, 7.3 pH Tris HCl buffer using Trizma Base and Trisma Hydrochloride. During my research, I stumbled upon a website that calculated the weight of each component I need to dissolve in order to achieve my wanted outcome. I haven't tried it out yet however, I was wondering if anyone can help me to figure out how the certain amounts can be calculated. I've been trying to use the Henderson-Hasselbach buffer equation but I haven't been able so far to reproduce the results. I am aware that the website only spits out the results for 0.1 M buffer but changing the values accordingly to achieve 1M isn't that big of a deal. I just want to understand how the specific amounts of Trizma Base and Trizma HCl are calculated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:39:39 PM by Calamiteh »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: 1M, 7.3 pH Tris-HCL Buffer solution
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 01:42:14 PM »
Numbers look quite accurate.

From molarity and volume calculate number of moles of both Tris forms, from HH equation calculate their ratio. Converting to masses is rather trivial.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 10:50:03 PM »
Just add 1M worth of Tris base then pH adjust down with HCl.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 09:24:24 AM »
The apparent pKa of TrisH+ will be different at 1.0 M buffer strength than 0.1 M.  There is a formula to estimate the correction as a function of ionic strength that I saw on page 30 of the book Buffer Solutions the Basics, by Beynon and Easterby. However, I would not be certain that this formula works at such a high concentration, and I would defer to Borek on that question.  Jeffreymoonchop's suggestion is reasonable.  EDT: More specifically I would add slightly less volume of water than the final solution volume, add HCl to the correct pH, then bring to the final volume with a small additional portion of water.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:47:25 AM by Babcock_Hall »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 10:34:51 AM »
There is a formula to estimate the correction as a function of ionic strength that I saw on page 30 of the book Buffer Solutions the Basics, by Beynon and Easterby.

That's just a variant of Debye-Huckel, it works reasonably well for ionic strengths of about 0.1 (perhaps even a bit higher, as usual it depends on what accuracy is required), so would be applicable for 0.1M buffer only.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links