April 24, 2024, 02:45:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction mechanisms for the catalysed decomp of H2O2  (Read 1012 times)

Offline amoreeel

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction mechanisms for the catalysed decomp of H2O2
« on: March 07, 2022, 02:10:44 AM »
Hey everyone,
I’m doing a project all about the activation energy of the decomp of H2O2 using different catalysts and my teacher recommended I add background information regarding the reaction mechanisms for each reaction mentioned.

I found the reaction mechanism for Decomp of h2o2 using KI as a catalyst but did not find anything (as in clearly laid out) for MnO2 and Catalase (from yeast). So, does anyone know what the reaction mechanisms are? I just need to give the elementary steps and possibly a tiny narration of what is going on in those elementary equations.

Also, while I’m at it, does anyone know how to calculate k (the rate constant) for these reactions? I think I’m doing it wrong:/

Offline Aldebaran

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Re: Reaction mechanisms for the catalysed decomp of H2O2
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 04:17:23 AM »
These are well known high school level experiments and a quick Google should help you find what you need. For example MIT have a useful, and of course trustworthy, page which includes some details of these reactions and about using the Arrhenius equation. My suggestion is have a good look and perhaps come back here if you need further help

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Reaction mechanisms for the catalysed decomp of H2O2
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 09:37:51 AM »
The mechanism of catalase is shown on p. 206 of the book Enzymatic Reaction Mechanisms by Frey and Hegeman.

Sponsored Links