March 29, 2024, 07:19:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Metal alloy question  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Doeba0ermo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Metal alloy question
« on: March 07, 2022, 09:59:04 AM »
I recently started on a project that requires chemistry and since the last time I did chemistry was in high school, I have no idea where to begin, so I thought I'd start here.

My question goes as follows: I thought of an alloy that consists of 30% gold, 15% magnesium, 35% titanium, and 20% copper. I would like to know if first of all, if this metal alloy would even be possible, and if not, how to adjust it accordingly so it would work. Second of all, I would like to know it's molecular composition as well as it's molecular structure.

After spending a few hours on Google I have a vague understanding of metallic bonding, as well as substitutional and interstitial alloys and valence electrons, though in no way do I know how to apply this.

Could anyone be so kind as to explain to me how to figure this out? I'd love to know both the result and if possible, how to get there to learn how it is done myself! :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Metal alloy question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 12:40:27 PM »
I would like to know it's molecular composition as well as it's molecular structure

Assuming it is just an alloy it doesn't have "molecules", so neither "molecular composition" not "molecular structure" makes much sense in the context. It would be just a mixture of a given composition (you already defined it quite precisely).

Not that I can help pointing you to any reasonable source that would give a hint if the metals you listed form an alloy. It is not always a case, typically metals do melt together (unless one one boils out before the other melts), but some are immiscible in solid phase (so they separate on solidification).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Doeba0ermo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Metal alloy question
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 02:39:26 PM »
Ah okay, thank you for explaining!

Sponsored Links