March 29, 2024, 10:14:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help Needed With Experiment (Urgent)  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Hiroshoa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help Needed With Experiment (Urgent)
« on: March 19, 2022, 06:26:23 PM »
So I'm currently working on a school experiment where I have to test the effect of temperature on the iodine content in seaweed; I know that I will be using a spectrophotometer to measure the change in iodine content, however I'm not exactly sure how I will do it... like I'm going to be using dried seaweed so how am I supposed to fit it in the cuvette of the spectrophotometer, (and also how am I supposed to measure the initial amount of iodine in the seaweed before cooking it)... therefore I would highly appreciate any suggestions or resources which can help me, and thank you

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Help Needed With Experiment (Urgent)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 08:08:38 PM »
Are you tasked with designing the procedure, or are you expected to follow a known one? If the latter - do you access to the procedure description in any written form?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Hiroshoa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »
I'm expected to design the procedure, however I've never used a spectrophotometer in my entire life; and I have no idea how they work (like can I put solids like seaweed in them, or would it not be accurate?). I tried researching for resources online, but I was unable to find anything that I was able to comprehend; so I would really appreciate any help

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 04:40:34 AM »
Generally speaking spectrophotometer works only with solutions, so you need to convert your samples into a solution containing analyte (note: solution, not a suspension). That means some kind of digesting to either completely dissolve the seaweed or to at least extract the iodine so that you can filter the remains out.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links