April 25, 2024, 05:09:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Industrial Applications of Dehydration of 2-methyl-2-butanol?  (Read 905 times)

Offline MaboToufoo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Greetings!

I would just like to know if there is any sort of significance and industrial/practical application of Dehydration of 2-methyl-2-butanol (AKA t-Amyl alcohol) outside of teaching college students about turning alcohols into alkenes.

In my organic chemistry class, groups of students were assigned to make and discuss lab reports about certain procedures. My group was assigned to dehydration of 2-methyl-2-butanol as stated in the subject. I was wondering if there are any industrial applications for the dehydration of t-Amyl alcohol? I don't really get much results on the significance of this certain procedure with this specific compound, since most of the results that I get on search engines are mostly college lectures about it. I also assume that t-Amyl alcohol is synthesized from 2M2B and 2M1B, instead of being dehydrated, for the food industry.

Thank you in advance!

Offline MaboToufoo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Industrial Applications of Dehydration of 2-methyl-2-butanol?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 07:30:30 AM »
Additional information

I'm assigned to a certain section of the report where I discuss about "other relevant information" such as discussing why sulfuric acid is the dehydrating agent of choice for the reaction. I want to be able to add more but I don't know where to start as well. I discussed about how the reactant and the products are being used in the real world but I want to include more information as well. Are there any more things that I can talk about? I'm hardly familiar with anything due to the online-class setting I've been in the past 2 years.

If there is any input to this sub-query that you would all like to add to, then i would greatly appreciate it.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Industrial Applications of Dehydration of 2-methyl-2-butanol?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 04:40:51 PM »
Greetings!

I would just like to know if there is any sort of significance and industrial/practical application of Dehydration of 2-methyl-2-butanol (AKA t-Amyl alcohol) outside of teaching college students about turning alcohols into alkenes.

In my organic chemistry class, groups of students were assigned to make and discuss lab reports about certain procedures. My group was assigned to dehydration of 2-methyl-2-butanol as stated in the subject. I was wondering if there are any industrial applications for the dehydration of t-Amyl alcohol? I don't really get much results on the significance of this certain procedure with this specific compound, since most of the results that I get on search engines are mostly college lectures about it. I also assume that t-Amyl alcohol is synthesized from 2M2B and 2M1B, instead of being dehydrated, for the food industry.

Thank you in advance!

As you write, the opposite, hydration of the alkene is what is done industrially. Not the other way around. The alkene is obtained from the petroleum industry.

Sponsored Links