March 28, 2024, 02:28:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I inhaled aqua regia twice. How bad is it?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline aquaregia

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I inhaled aqua regia twice. How bad is it?
« on: March 27, 2022, 02:31:35 PM »
I worked in a lab unsupervised and inhaled aqua regia once two weeks ago (aqua regia was freshly made then), then another one the previous week (aqua regia was a week old, but still had a strong smell). It was sealed in an Erlenmeyer flask for days (it was 60 ml or so). I wasn't wearing a mask or protection glasses. It was directly under my nose. How bad is it? Should I see a doctor?

I'm not experienced with lab equipment or any chemicals. I wasn't aware it was that bad till after I inhaled it and felt a sting in my nose.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: I inhaled aqua regia twice. How bad is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 03:44:36 PM »
If it was many days ago and you have no observable symptoms (like cough) you should be OK. Gases that are emitted are strong irritants and they can quickly destroy tissues, but I am not aware of delayed effects (at least if it is just a random exposure, not something repeating every day).

A bit like contact with something hot - you were either burnt to the point of needing medical attention, or it was just unpleasant but no need for a doc.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline aquaregia

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 03:58:53 PM »
If it was many days ago and you have no observable symptoms (like cough) you should be OK. Gases that are emitted are strong irritants and they can quickly destroy tissues, but I am not aware of delayed effects (at least if it is just a random exposure, not something repeating every day).
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

A bit like contact with something hot - you were either burnt to the point of needing medical attention, or it was just unpleasant but no need for a doc.
This part scares me :C I wanna go, but I doubt the doctor has prior experience to this chemical or would even know what it is.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 09:29:44 AM »
You would just tell the doctor you inhaled concentrated acid fumes. They would treat accordingly, eg pulmonary edema.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links