April 19, 2024, 04:02:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I have to study 200+ reactions... how?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline slimer90

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have to study 200+ reactions... how?
« on: March 31, 2022, 05:57:42 PM »
I am taking a course advanced organic chemisty and I seek to find structure in the course but it is really hard as the course goes like: you have this reaction, but also this reaction, ...

Shall i organize those reactions by their corresponding reaction mechanism or rather in another way? (for example i could try to make a list on several ways to make aldehydes, several ways to make carbenes, ...)

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
Re: I have to study 200+ reactions... how?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 11:31:33 PM »
Advanced organic courses usually fall in two categories - Physical organic  (mixture of Huckel MO theory, kinetics and mechanisms, advanced stereochemistry, pericyclic reaction theory, LFER, etc) or Synthetic organic (reactions and synthetic strategies).  Sounds like you are in one of the latter.  If your instructor and textbook arent giving you ways to organize the reactions, try and come up with some of your own.  reactions of functional group X.  reactions that make functional group Y.  reactions that have the same type of reactive intermediate. 

The thing is it is hard to remember 200 random reactions.  But if you can remember 20 kinds of reactions, and for every kind of reaction there are 10 variations of the reaction - this is easier! 

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: I have to study 200+ reactions... how?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 01:14:45 AM »
In Jerry March Adv. Org Chemistry they have a good system for organic reactions, I like that book. Also its no "easy" way to learn chemistry, its a large complex field.

https://www.amazon.se/Marchs-Advanced-Organic-Chemistry-Mechanisms/dp/1119371805
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 01:34:47 AM by rolnor »

Sponsored Links