April 25, 2024, 12:54:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Deactivating groups  (Read 1235 times)

Offline sharbeldam

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Deactivating groups
« on: April 08, 2022, 06:45:19 AM »
Hello guys!

I was trying to do a synthesis problem on a benzene (in theory not real life) and I ran across a question if you could help me with it, I had an aldehyde on a benzene and i protected it (with a diol, and now it's acetal/ketal), and I got confused if it would still be meta, some researcher told me it's meta and i get but is there a full list of deactivating groups, like the normal list dont contain ketal/acetal/C-OH/C-OR, i'd love a long list or a way to know simply if it's deactivating or activating so i can tell my students, that would help many!

thanks in advance
O-Chem 1+2 Online Free tutor on Skype: Live:damnitsjake21

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Deactivating groups
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 07:00:07 AM »
No, its orto-para like a methyl group.

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 07:08:50 AM »
Well i guess the researcher was wrong? so when you protect an aldehyde/ketone, it becomes o/p? despite having two oxygens that withdraw electrons?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 09:34:52 AM »
Oxygen is also electron donating. Also, there is no conjugation, you dont have a carbonyl double bond.

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 09:55:01 AM »
as you say oxygen is electron donating, she says it's two oxygens that are electronegative and they are deactivating but less than carbonyls.

but ofcourse i always trust this site and you more, i appreciate the help.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 10:53:12 AM »
But they are on the methyl. Is dimetoxymethane acidic? Can you pick that proton on the CH2 with base? No. Acetals are very inert to base, not even BuLi will pick that proton.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 12:32:23 PM »
I should add, I am not sure how o,p-directing it is, maybe neutral, lika a hydrogen.

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 02:18:45 PM »
I am really curious about this and I don't think it's obvious. A carbon bonded to three chlorines is a deactivating meta director, because the chlorines can't donate by resonance and it just withdraws via induction. Oxygen is more electronegative than chlorine and so each oxygen should have a stronger inductive effect, assuming the alkyl groups connected to it have a minor effect. The solitary CH bond on the methine can donate via hyperconjugation. If it has a neutral effect like Rolnor is speculating, it would give a mixture of meta and para for steric reasons, I would think. And meta is favored due to random probability, if para and meta are both similar sterically.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Sponsored Links